Obviously, presidential candidates this 2016 elections are receiving donations from businessmen and noted personalities. But while we don’t know yet how much donation they have received, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) has records of their top donors in their last elections. Below are the details as reported by ABS-CBN News.
According to the article posted by Jhoanna Ballaran and Bonz Magsambol of the ABS-CBN Investigative and Research Group published this Friday, April 15, they obtained records from the Comelec stating the names of the top donors of the 2016 presidentiables and how much they donated in their previous election campaign.
For the purpose of transparency, Omnibus Election Code of 1985 requires all political candidates to submit the names of their donors and the amount they received from these donors to the Comelec, by filing their own Statement of Election Contributions and Expenditures (SOCE), within 30 days after the day of election, win or lose.
As we all know, Jejomar Binay beat former DILG Secretary Mar Roxas for the vice presidency in the 2010 elections. On the other hand, Miriam Defensor Santiago won as senator in the 2010 elections, Grace Poe-Llamanzares was elected as senator in 2013, and Rodrigo ‘Rody’ Duterte won in 2013 as Davao City mayor with no rival.
Must Read: * Richest Presidentiables and Vice Presidentiables in the 2016 Philippine Election
Credit: ABS-CBN News
Must Read: * 2016 Philippine Elections: 10 Commandments on How to Vote Wisely, Once and For All
Based on VP Binay’s SOCE, he had 554 donors for the 2010 election campaign with a total donation amount of P231.48 million, but he spent about P218 million only. His top donor then was Planet Drug Store President Darlene Webb Zshornack, who donated P10 million. His pharmacy has been operating at the Ospital ng Makati since 2009.
Other top donors of VP Binay in 2010:
* Mr.and Mrs. James and Anne Tiu (P7.5 million each, total of P15 million)
James Tiu was one of board members of Sunchamp Real Estate Development Corporation, and also the principal financial officer and director of Greenergy Holdings Incorporated. He is the younger brother of Antonio Tiu, who was the alleged dummy owner of VP Binay’s 350-hectare Sunchamp Agri-Industry Park in Rosario, Batangas.
* Victor Valdepeñas (P5 million), president and chief operating officer of Unionbank (January 1, 1998 – December 31, 2015)
* Enrique Lagdameo (P5 million), national treasurer of Boy Scouts of the Philippines (BSP). He is also the the father of Makati congresswoman Monique Lagdameo, an ally of VP Binay.
* Victor Limlingan (P3 million), managing director of DMCI Holdings and brother of Gerardo “Gerry” Limlingan. Gerry is VP Binay’s financial adviser, and was allegedly involved in illegal transactions linked to the vice president.
Must Read: * List of Celebrities Who Support, Endorse Presidentiables in the 2016 Philippine Elections
For Mar Roxas, he spent P279.35 million for his 2010 election campaign for vice president. His declared donation received is P244 million , in which P180 million came from his maternal family, the Arenatas. In case you don’t know, he is the son of the late Senator Gerry Roxas, and the grandson of the late-president Manuel Roxas.
Top donors of Mar Roxas in 2010:
* Judy Araneta (P50 million), the vice chairman and the senior executive vice president of the Araneta Group, and Mar Roxas’ mother
* Jorge Araneta (P50 million), Chairman of the board, president and CEO of Araneta Group, and Mar Roxas’ uncle
* Maria Araneta-Fores (P50 million), one of the Araneta Group’s directors, and Mar Roxas’ aunt
* Augusto Ojeda ( P20 million), Mar Roxas’ late brother-in-law
* Ruby Roxas (P10 million), Mar Roxas’ aunt
* Jorge A. Fores (P10 million), Araneta Group’s vice president for collections, Mar Roxas’ cousin
Must Read: * List of Celebrities Who Will Run in the 2016 Philippine Elections
For Grace Poe, she declared P123.45 million as her total spendings during her senatorial campaign for the 2013 election, where she landed on the first spot, with 20.34 million votes. She listed a P129.15-million donation from the Fernando Poe Jr. Productions, Inc., her adoptive father’s movie outfit, as her top donor, donating P18.25 million.
Other top donors of Grace Poe in 2013:
* Susan Roces ( P17.4 million), actress and Grace Poe’s adoptive mother
* John Paul L. Ang (P10 million), General Manager and Chief Operating Officer of Eagle Cement Corporation
* Thomas A. Tan, (P10 million), director of San Miguel Corporation, president and general manager of San Miguel Corporation Shipping and Litherage Corp., president of Saturn Cement Corp. and Sakamoto International Packaging Corp.;
* Michael D. Escaler (P10 million), president of Aboitiz-owned San Fernando Electric & Light Power Corp.
* Edwin L. Luy (P10 million), president of Triton Securities
Must See: * Cebu Girl Gives Duterte Her Money Savings as Support for his Campaign
Meanwhile, Santiago declared a campaign spending of P117.52 million, and listed P500,000 as donation from her own money for her 2010 election campaign, where she ranked third as senator. On the other hand, Duterte declared a spending of P85,845 only and won as Davao City mayor. His list has no donation, not even a single peso.
Now, please convince us that these people are just giving away their millions, and are not expecting anything in return. 🙂 🙂 🙂