Nike fires Manny Pacquiao, ending his long years of contract as one of their product endorsers. The tough move of Nike comes this Wednesday, February 17, 2016, just a few days after the Pinoy boxing icon made a very strong comment against same-sex marriage. The local and international LGBT community strongly condemned his act, and he later apologized.
“We find Manny Pacquiao’s comments abhorrent. Nike strongly opposes discrimination of any kind and has a long history of supporting and standing up for the rights of the LGBT community. We no longer have a relationship with Manny Pacquiao, which is accurate.” Nike said in a statement, which is now being spread online via international news sites and sports forums.
Must Read: * Manny Pacquiao May Be Disqualified From 2016 Elections If He Fights Bradley On April 9
“It’s only common sense, Have you seen any male animal pairing to another male or female animal to another female animal? Animals are better; they can distinguish the pairing of opposite sex, aren’t they? Now if humans of the same sex pair to each other, they are worst than animals.” Manny Pacquiao told Bilang Pilipino in a video interview this Monday, February 15.
Must Read: * Why I Will Vote Manny Pacquiao for Senator in 2016, and Why You Should Too
For this comment, the Senatorial candidate was heavily criticized by LGBT groups and personalities including Vice Ganda, John “Sweet” Lapus, famous blogger Perez Hilton, and Aiza Seguerra. Shortly, an online petition was launched at Change.org by a certain Aries dela Cruz, strongly asking huge corporations to drop Pacquiao, with the hashtag #DropPacman.
Must Read: * Pacquiao-Bradley 3 Might Not Be Shown in Philippine TV, Under Fair Elections Act
This Tuesday, Pacquiao uploaded a video on his Facebook page, saying that he is sorry for hurting people by comparing gays to animals. He added that he is not not condemning LGBT. However, he said he maintains his stand against same-sex marriage, because it is mentioned in the Bible. Vice Ganda accepted his apology, but will not vote for him in the 2016 elections.
Must Read: * Why I Will Not Vote Manny Pacquiao for Senator in 2016, and Why You Shouldn’t Too
Apparently, Pacquiao now joins fellow athletes Ray Rice, Lance Armstrong, and Oscar Pistorious. However, it is only the Pambasang Kamao who was fired because of insulting comments against same-sex marriage. Meanwhile, other companies including Foot Locker are also being targeted for boycott if they don’t fire Pacquiao, who is set to retire from boxing after his fight against Timothy Bradley this April.
More from my site
- Watch: Manny Pacquiao Apologizes for Comparing Same-Sex Couples to Animals (Video)
- Celebrities Slam Manny Pacquiao for Saying, ‘Same-Sex Couples are Worst Than Animals’ (Video)
- Pacquiao-Bradley 3 Might Not Be Shown in Philippine TV, Under Fair Elections Act
- Manny Pacquiao May Be Disqualified From 2016 Elections If He Fights Bradley On April 9
- Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight on May 2, 2015, Floyd Mayweather Demands
- BIR: Manny Pacquiao Not To Pay Tax If He Wins Against Floyd Mayweather
- Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather Meeting for the First Time, Netizens React (Video)
- Manny Pacquiao as PBA Player is a Joke, Purefoods Import Daniel Orton Says
- No More Pacquiao-Mayweather 2, He is a Coward and Sore Loser, Mayweather Says
- Manny Pacquiao Loses as Floyd Mayweather Runs Away to the Bank, Twitter Agrees