As the entire Philippines already know, the Commission on Appointments (CA) rejected the appointment of Gina Lopez as the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) secretary this Wednesday, May 3. But the million-peso question is who are the senators and congressmen who voted for her, and against her.
But first, the CA implemented last March its so-called secret voting policy, where the names of its members who confirmed and rejected Gina Lopez’ appointment should not be revealed in public. However, each member is allowed to speak in public about their votes, if they wish to. Nevertheless, they are not obliged to.
Senator Manny Pacquiao, chairperson of the Committee on environment and natural resources, said he voted for DENR secretary Gina Lopez. Senate Minority Floor Leader Franklin Drilon said that the Liberal Party (LP) also voted her. All in all, 8 senators voted ‘Yes’ for Lopez’ appointment, while only 4 senators voted, ‘No.’
Must Watch: * DENR Secretary Gina Lopez Answers Questions on Effect of Closed Mining Companies (Video)
On the other hand, only one House member voted for the controversial DENR secretary. Manila 6th District Representative Rosenda Ann Sandy Ocampo admitted this Thursday that she voted ‘yes’ for Gina Lopez’ appointment. This is after some reports said that she was among the 16 members who voted ‘No.’
To sum it up, it appears that DENR secretary Gina Lopez’ appointment was rejected via 15-9 votes, and not 16-8 as earlier reported. It should be noted that Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III did not participate simple because he is the CA chairman, and the rules says that he is only allowed to vote in case there is a tie.
And although there was no official records from the CA, ABS-CBN News revealed the names of the senators and congressmen who confirmed and denied Gina Lopez’ appointment DENR secretary, based on their multiple sources. Note that there is no way we can confirm if the list is correct or not. Nevertheless, the full list can be seen below.
Senators who approved DENR secretary Gina Lopez’ appointment:
1 Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III
2 Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon
3 Senate President Pro-Tempore Ralph Recto
4 Sen. Loren Legarda
5 Sen. Joseph Victor ‘JV’ Ejercito
6 Sen. Francis ‘Kiko’ Pangilinan
7 Sen. Manny Pacquiao
8 Sen. Paolo Benigno ‘Bam’ Aquino IV
Senators who rejected DENR secretary Gina Lopez’ appointment:
1 Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano
2 Sen. Gringo Honasan
3 Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri
4 Sen. Panfilo ‘Ping’ Lacson
Congressmen who approved DENR secretary Gina Lopez’ appointment:
1 Rep. Sandy Ocampo
Congressmen who rejected DENR secretary Gina Lopez’ appointment:
1 Rep. Ronaldo Zamora
2 Rep. Wes Gatchalian
3 Rep. Rodolfo Albano III
4 Rep. Abraham ‘Bambol’ Tolentino
5 Rep. Antonio ‘Tonyboy’ Floirendo Jr.
6 Rep. Benhur Salimbangon
7 Rep. Jerry Treñas
8 Rep. Joel Mayo Almario
9 Rep. Josephine Ramirez-Sato
10 Rep. Julieta Cortuna
11 Rep. Roy M. Loyola
As we all know, no less than President Rodrigo Duterte himself is very supportive to the projects of Gina Lopez as DENR secretary. Lopez, who closed 23 mining companies last February and later suspended 5 others, is being accused of not following due process during audits. Nevertheless, she gained a lot of support from the public.
More from my site
- Watch: DENR Secretary Gina Lopez Answers Questions on Effect of Closed Mining Companies (Video)
- Nearly 80 LP Members Withdraw Support to Sen Leila de Lima, Now Joining PDP-Laban
- President Duterte Most Likely to Ban Firecrackers Nationwide in 2017 Following Bocaue Blast
- Duterte Allies Now Bothered by Impeachment Complaint vs President Duterte, Sen Trillanes Says
- LP Congressman Plans to Revive Proposed 4-Year Term for President, VP, But Can Run For Reelection
- Rappler Reports Wrong Name of Mining Company Closed by DENR, Causes Stocks to Decline, Netizen Says
- Sen Leila de Lima Admits US Trip to Receive an Award, But Promises to Return to Face Charges
- Look: ‘World’s Largest Pearl’ Found in Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Weighs 34 Kilos
- List of Celebrities Who Support, Endorse Presidentiables in the 2016 Philippine Elections
- Watch: ABS-CBN’s Gina Lopez Admits Leaning Towards Duterte for President, Explains Why (Video)