Miriam Defensor-Santiago is dead, as confirmed to local media by her husband, Atty. Narciso ‘Jun’ Santiago. According to him, the former senator died in her sleep Thursday morning, September 29, and was unconscious when she passed away. She was 71. Upon hearing the news, fellow politicians, netizens, and even ordinary citizens send their condolences.
Atty. Santiago confirmed dded that Sen. Miriam was confined at the St. Luke’s Medical Center in Bonifacio Global City when she died. As we all know, she was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer in 2014, and has been frequently brought to the hospital since then. But despite her illness, she did her best to be active in the Senate in her last term.
“I would like to ask we take a moment of silence to pray for the soul of an esteemed, a respected courageous colleague, a woman who had helped us in the past pass the freedom of information bill. May we pray for Senator Santiago.” Senator Grace Poe said during the Senate hearing on the Freedom of Information Bill, which she was presiding.
Born in Iloilo City on June 15, 1945, Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago ran for president three times – in 1992 where Fidel V. Ramos won in a very controversial election results, in 1998 where Joseph “Erap” Estrada; and in 2016 where Rodrigo Duterte won. Nevertheless, Dutrerte and Santiago are good friends, and was witnessed during a presidential debate.
While we at TN join the entire Philippines in mourning for the loss of a great politician, we would like to celebrate her life by remembering some of her best quotes. We know that there are tons of them, including the funny jokes pick-up lines. However, we decided to choose that we think the most striking ones. Below are 12 of them, from her book, “Stupid Is Forever.”
Must Read: * What Raissa Robles Did Not Realize If Miriam Defensor Santiago Won The 2016 Election
1) He is so ugly he should donate his face to the Parks and Wildlife Office in Quezon City.”
2) Ang crush parang math problem, kung hindi mo makuha, titigan mo na lang.”
3) “Mag-exchange gift tayo? Akin ka at sa iyo naman ako.”
4) “Pwede ba kitang sabayan pauwi? Kasi sabi sa akin ng magulang ko, ‘Follow your dreams.’”
5) “Miss, kutsara ka ba? Kasi papalapit ka pa lang, napanganga na ako.”
6) “Ang sabi nila, ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away.’ Kung guwapo o maganda ang doctor, ayoko na ng apple.”
7) “Pedicab ka ba? PEDICABang i-date sa Valentines Day?”
8) “Good news: Wala ka nang pimples! Bad news: Dahil wala nang space.”
9) “A smart wife is one who makes sure she spends so much that her husband can’t afford another woman.”
10) “Marriage is not a word. It is a sentence – a life sentence.”
11) “Scientists have discovered a food that diminishes a woman’s sex drive by 90%. Ang tawag doon ay wedding cake.”
12) “If you are in a relationship, stop trying to figure out who wears the pants between the two of you. Relationships work best when both of you are not wearing pants.”