Manny Pacquiao Loses 2014 ESPN Fighter of the Year, Mayweather Reacts

Pacquiao vs Mayweather 2015

Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao is not the 2014 ESPN Fighter of the Year, after losing it from the current WBO Lightweight champion named Terence Crawford. After learning this news, undefeated boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. immediately gave his reaction.

In a post by ESPN boxing writer Dan Rafael, the 27-year old boxer from Omaha, Nebraska has established himself as the world’s No. 1 lightweight boxing champion in 2014. This is after he successfully won three consecutive fights this year alone, including that last month.

On November 29, Terence Crawford beat Raymundo Beltran via unanimous decision. He did not only retain his WBO Lightweight title, but he also won the vacant “The Ring Magazine” Lightweight title. The American boxer is also undefeated in his 25 professional fights, with 17 of them won by TKO.

In 2013, Crawford moved up to junior welterweight and beat Colombian boxer Breidis Prescott. He won two more fights that year, including a knockout to Mexican boxer Alejandro Sanabria. Heavily supported by Top Rank Promotions, the undefeated champion will move up to Junior Welterweight in 2015.

For Manny Pacquiao, the ESPN writer noted that the 36-year old eight-division titleholder had only one fight in 2013. This is when Pacquiao won against Brandon Rios via unanimous decision, after he was knocked down by Juan Manuel Marquez in December 2012. That was their fourth boxing match.

Pacquiao, who was the ESPN Fighter of the Year in 2006, 2008 and 2009, beat WBO Light Welterweight Champion Chris Algieri via unanimous decision last month. Other contenders for the 2014 ESPN Fighter of the Year are Sergey Kovalev, Miguel Cotto, Gennady Golovkin and Roman Gonzalez.

Meanwhile, Floyd Mayweather Jr., who was named ESPN Fighter of the Year in 2007 and 2013, took the chance to call out Pacquiao for the nth time. This time, Mayweather said that the Filipino boxer should be grateful to him because he is still willing to fight him.

“Talk is cheap, but facts are facts and illusions are illusions. Being the second greatest boxer behind me, he (Pacquaio) should thank me for being the only boxer right now who wants to fight him. I don’t mind being a rich coward.” Mayweather told in an interview this Tuesday.

“People know it’s only Bob (Arum) who doesn’t want the fight to happen. That’s the difference between me and Pacquiao. I’m in control. No one can tell me what to do. Pacquiao fights when Bob Arum tells him he has to fight.” He added, insisting that Pacquiao-Mayweather fight should happen on May 2, 2015.

But while there are speculations that talks are now going on between the two camps, a recent post at said that an investment group in Dubai, UAE (United Arab Emirates) has formally offered a whooping $120 million to Mayweather Promotions and Top Rank Promoter Bob Arum.

“The media has been speculating the offer has gone up $10 million to a guaranteed $120 million, and they’re right,” M. Akbar Muhammad, one of the principals of the Dubai investment group said. “The $120 million is the largest payday for an individual for a single event in the history of sports.”

As of posting, neither Bob Arum and Manny Pacquiao has yet to release a comment on Mayweather’s latest rant. But in an earlier list of 2015 predictions, experts said they believe that the Pacquiao vs Mayweather bout will happen in 2015. According to them, Pacquiao will win and will retire from boxing right after the fight.

Related Posts:

* Floyd Mayweather Finally Decides to Fight Manny Pacquiao, After Watching His Funny Commercial
* Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight on May 2, 2015, Floyd Mayweather Demands
* Floyd Mayweather to Sign Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight Contract in 3 Conditions
* Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather Meeting for the First Time, Netizens React (Video)
* Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight Announcement Causes Sold Out at MGM Grand Hotel



No Responses