Nearly 200 self-confessed drug users in San Juan voluntarily surrendered city Mayor Guia Gomez (Sen. JV Ejercito’s mother) this Monday, July 4. This is after she recently issued an executive order to all the barangay captains in San Juan to prioritize the city’s fight against illegal drugs, as part of the urgent directive of President Rodrigo Duterte.
“The DUTERTE chilling effect can now be felt. Around 180 drug pushers and users voluntarily surrendered to Mayor Guia Gomez at the San Juan City Hall this afternoon.” Sen. JV Ejercito wrote as a caption on the photo he shared on his official Facebook page that day. Gomez is now on her third and last term as San Juan City mayor.
As we all know, Sen. Ejercito is the son of former president and Manila Mayor Joseph “Erap” Estrada with Guia Gomez. Erap, who is now on his second term as Manila mayor served as mayor of San Juan for 17 years (1969-1986) before he was elected senator, vice president and president, but was ousted in People Power 2 in 2001.
Must Read: * PNP Chief ‘Bato’ Dela Rosa: 9 Policemen Tested Positive for Illegal Drugs in Nationwide Drug Test
Erap, who earlier said that Duterte is only copying his style and that the latter is only good in local politics, recently announced that he is strongly supporting the president’s anti-crime, drug, and peace and order campaign. The 79-year old mayor added that he also agrees with President Duterte’s call for the restoration of death penalty.
Meanwhile, Mayor Gomez appointed San Juan City Mayor Janella Estrada (Erap’s grand daughter and daughter of jailed Senator Jinggoy Estrada) as Chairperson of the city’s anti drug abuse council. And just like the drug suspects who surrendered in various parts in the country, these San Juan drug users will undergo rehabilitation.
Must Read: * Over 3,000 Drug Suspects Surrender in South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat
According to San Juan City Police Chief Sr. Supt Victor Arevalo, 168 of them have already been into the ‘booking process’, as he hopes that they will identy their source of illegal drugs in the city, and that many more drug suspects will surrender The city has the same scenario in other areas in Metro Manila and provinces in the entire country.
More from my site
- Confirmed: 2 Sen Leila De Lima’s Nephews Caught in the Act During Pot Session in Bicol, Arrested
- Duterte Should Not be Blamed for Drug-Related Extrajudicial Killings, UP Professor Explains Why
- Extrajudicial Killings During Duterte Administration is Fewer Than During PNoy Administration (Data)
- Rappler Revises News Report After Netizen Complains of Misleading Caption, But Didn’t Apologize
- Watch: President Rodrigo Duterte Meets Peter Lim, Alleged Top Drug Lord in Visayas (Video)
- 2 Duterte Siblings, 4 Others Arrested in Drug Buy-Bust Operation in Zamboanga
- Watch: 60 Minutes Australia on Extrajudicial Killings in the Philippines, Bias Report? (Full Video)
- Billionaire-Philanthropist Richard Branson: Duterte’s War on Drugs is Not the Answer, Bound to Fail
- Nearly 60,000 Drug Suspects Surrender in 2 Weeks of Duterte Administration, Malacanang Says
- Watch: Drug Suspect Albuera Mayor Rolando Espinosa Arrested, Son Kerwin Remains at Large (Video)