“Eight out of 10 Pinoys worry about extrajudicial killings —SWS survey.” – This is the screaming headline of GMA News Online report this Monday, December 19 about the latest SWS Survey, where respondents were asked about the alleged extrajudicial killings (EJKs) under the Duterte administration. But apparently, this is somehow ‘Hindi Tama.’
As we all know, netizens using free data on Facebook can only read news headlines but not the entire content. Obviously, people working at GMA News also know it. Therefore, with the given misleading headline, free data users will immediately conclude that majority of Filipinos are really scared about EJKs and will surely hate President Rodrigo Duterte.
But while it is true that 8 out of 10 adult Filipinos (or 78 percent) worry about EJKs based on the SWS Survey (Fourth Quarter 2016) conducted from December 3-6 to 1,500 adults nationwide via via face-to-face interviews, we at Taho News think that GMA News Online should be more sensitive on the possible reactions of free data users, and will not be bias.
Must See: * GMA News Facebook Posts Anti-Duterte Comments, Apologizes Later
Must Watch: * ABS-CBN, GMA News Use Misleading Headline on “Duterte Hits Sereno Anew” News Report? (Video)
Now, here are the other very important facts about the latest SWS Survey on EJK that every Filipino should know. Note, however that GMA News Online also mentioned them on their report.
* Eighty-five percent (85%) of the respondents said they were satisfied with the government’s war on drugs.
* Seventy-one percent (71%) of the respondents said it is “very important” that drug suspects be kept alive during police operations.
* Thirty-nine percent (39%) of the respondents said that EJK in the Duterte administration is “very serious.”
* Twenty-eight percent (28%) of the responded said “Yes,” when asked if they believe the claim of the policemen that drug suspects resisted arrest (“nanlaban”). On the other hand, twenty-nine percent (29%) said, “No.” or they think that the police are not telling the truth.
* Eighty-five percent (85%) of the respondents said they were satisfied with President Duterte’s intensified war on drugs.
* Eighty-eight (88%) of the respondents said the illegal drug problem declined since President Rodrigo Duterte took his oath of office last June 30.
* Seventy percent (70%) of the respondents agreed that the Duterte administration is serious about solving the problem of extrajudicial killings..
* As a summary, the on-going drug campaign under the Duterte administration in the fourth quarter of 2016 had an “excellent” net satisfaction rating of +77. This is one point higher than the +76 net satisfaction rating for the third quarter of the same year.
Must Read: * ABS-CBN News Misleading Headline on SWS Survey on Increase of Drug Addicts, Unsafe Streets
Nevertheless, President Duterte’s net satisfaction ratings this Q4 2016 is +63. This is only one point lower as compared to his rating in September of +64, and that the president’s ratings remained as ‘very good.’
Now, if GMA News is really serious on their #HindiTama project, do you think their news headline on this SWS Survey is fair to free data users?