Mayor Rolando Espinosa of Albuera, Leyte was shot dead inside his jail cell at the Baybay City Provincial Jail this Saturday, November 5, at around 4 am. This was confirmed by local and regional police officers. Mayor Espinosa was included in the list of narco-politicians publicly revealed by no less than President Rodrigo Duterte himself last August.
In an interview with radio DZMM also this Saturday morning, Albuera PNP chief Jovie Espenido said Mayor Espinosa was killed by an unknown assailant when members of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) Region 8 were supposed to serve his warrant, in violation of Republic Act No. 9165 (Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act.
That time, the CIDG was also supposed to serve a similar warrant to certain inmate Raul Yap, who was also reportedly killed. In an interview by GMA news with Philippine National Police (PNP) Regional Director Elmer Beltejar also this Saturday morning, he confirmed the death of the former mayor, noting that the case is still under thorough investigation.
Last August 3, Mayor Espinosa surrendered to PNP (Philippine National Police) Chief Director General Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, who presented him to the media. This is after President Duterte ordered a shoot-on-sight’ against him if he will not surrender in 24 hours. He cried in live TV, and begged to his son Kerwin Espinosa to also surrender.
Must Watch: * Drug Suspect Albuera Mayor Rolando Espinosa Arrested, Son Kerwin Remains at Large (Video)
And although the mayor denied being a drug lord protector, he publicly admitted that Kerwin is a drug lord. Last August 19, local authorities conducted a raid inside his Benoldo, Albuera via a search warrant. Among those recovered include 11.4 kilos of suspected shabu worth P88 million. Kerwin arrested in Abu Dhabi on October 17.
Meanwhile, the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) was quick to react on the killing of Mayor Espinosa. In an ambush interview with reporters, a representative of CHR Region 8 said that the matter was immediately reported to them, and that they might conduct their own investigation. The CHR noted that even drug suspects and criminals have human rights.
More from my site
- Watch: Albuera, Leyte Mayor Rolando Espinosa Surrenders, Faces PNP Chief Bato Dela Rosa (Video)
- Watch: Drug Suspect Albuera Mayor Rolando Espinosa Arrested, Son Kerwin Remains at Large (Video)
- Watch: Albuera, Leyte Mayor Rolando Espinosa Cries, Begs Son Kerwin to Surrender (Video)
- Watch: Drug Lord Herbert Colangco Donated P50-M to Presidentiable, Former Drug Pusher Says (Video)
- Watch: Netizen Writes and Sings “Papatayin Kita”, Song Criticizing Police Killings of Drug Suspects (Video)
- PNP Chief ‘Bato’ Dela Rosa: 9 Policemen Tested Positive for Illegal Drugs in Nationwide Drug Test
- Duterte Should Not be Blamed for Drug-Related Extrajudicial Killings, UP Professor Explains Why
- CHR May Open Hiring of Personnel Who Can Join Anti-Drug Police Operations
- Watch: PNP Chief Bato Dela Rosa Talks to Bilibid Drug Lords, Sebastian, Co and Colangco (Video)
- Confirmed: 2 Sen Leila De Lima’s Nephews Caught in the Act During Pot Session in Bicol, Arrested