Boycott Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight, ESPN’s Keith Olbermann Tells Boxing Fans (Video)
Boycott Pacquiao-Mayweather fight, which will be held on Saturday, May 2, 2015 (Sunday, May 3, Manila time) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. This is what Keith Olbermann of ESPN said on his show last Friday. Below is the video of him, explaining why he will not support the much-awaited “Fight of the Century.”
As mentioned by Olbermann, Floyd Mayweather has been ruled by the court five times, all of which related to domestic violence. The 56-year old American sports and political commentator showed a report about Mayweather’s history of violence against women, especially to the mothers of his children.
Olbermann mentioned the incidents where Mayweather allegedly hurt Melissa Brim, the mother of his daughter, Ayanna, in two different occasions, in February 2001 and July 2001. In August 2003, the undefeated boxing champion allegedly assaulted two women, but the case was dismissed years later.
In December 2003, Floyd Mayweather hit his then-girlfriend and mother of his three other children, Josie Harris. He was found not guilty after Harris changed her testimony. In September 2010, a similar incident happened and Mayweather was charged with battery. He was sentenced in 2011 and was released in August 2012.
John Barr of Outside the Lines asked Floyd Mayweather Sr about his son’s troubled past during a recent promo of the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight, but the older Mayweather declined to comment. Barr also interviewed Mayweather Jr, where the latter said, “At the end of the day, only God can judge us.”
“You will support this excuse for a man? You will help him continue to behave as if his conduct is acceptable in the 21st century, or the 20th, or the 19th? I won’t. I regret this deeply. Olbermann said, stressing out that it’s now “time to draw the line.” He later said he has no problems about Manny Pacquiao.
“I met Manny Pacquiao last year, and a quieter, more respectful, more dignified boxer I’ve never encountered. May he make millions more, but I will not give Floyd Mayweather a dime. He should’ve been banned for life by his sport two, or five, or ten years ago.” The veteran late-night show added.
“I will not promote, watch, nor report on Mayweather’s fight. I will boycott it and I urge you to as well.” Olbermann further said, who earlier said on his report that he wishes everyone to also boycott the upcoming 2015 NFL Draft. He mentioned Jameis Winston, who is believed to be the No. 1 pick, as the main reason.
Winston, 21, has his own share of controversies. This includes soda shoplifting at Burger King in July 2013 and vulgar commenting in September 2014. The former Florida State quarterback is also being accused of raping his classmate, Erica Kinsman in 2012. Last week, the same woman filed a new case against him.
So, what do you think about Keith Olbermann’s call to boycott the Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight and the 2015 NFL Draft? Are his reasons valid for people not to watch the richest boxing match in the history?