As the nation watched Edgar Matobato, the supposed witness of alleged judicial killings in Davao City during the senate hearing this Thursday, September 15, many people said they strongly believe that he is not telling the truth. In fact, even Senator Panfilo ‘Ping’ Lacson questioned his credibility, and corrected some of his answers during the hearing.
On the other hand, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald ‘Bato’ dela Rosa, who was also in the senate hearing, categorically denied knowing Matobato. But to add headaches to the people behind him, some netizens said that he was lying. Below are 17 statements of Edgar Matobato that are lies or questionable, for that matter.
1. Matobato first said that someone (whom he did mention the name) brought him to the Senate hearing, but he later said he came over alone and voluntarily.
2. Matobato initially said that he was a ghost employee of Davao City Hall, receiving P3,000 a month but he later changed it to P5,000. Senator Vicente “Tito” Sotto noted that the witness is a contractual employee because ghost employees have no names.
3. A certain Dee Jay wrote on Facebook that he is schoolmate of Paolo Duterte, and that the latter studied at Philippine Women’s College (PWC) in Davao and not in Ateneo de Davao.
4. As confirmed by Sen Lacson, Richard King was killed inside his office in Vital C, and not inside McDonalds branch. Checking at Google resulted that Lacson was correct.
5. Matobato said that he was a Scout Ranger of the CAFGU (Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Units), but Philippine Army Spokesman Col. Benjamin Hao confirmed that his name is on the list of CAFGU members. A certain Ian Nierva Olden even said that Matobato is a known NPA (New People’s Army) member.
Must Watch: * Witness Edgar Matobato Mentions Wrong Information on Alleged Extrajudicial Killings in Davao (Video)
6. Davao City Representative Karlo Alexei Nograles confirmed that no bodyguards of his father, former House Speaker Prospero Nograles were killed because of politics. This is in contrast with Matobato’s statement that they kidnaped and killed Nograles’ bodyguards in 2010 when the elder Nograles and Sara Duterte both ran for mayor of Davao City.
7. Matobato said that a certain Sali Makdum was kidnapped in 2002 and was brought to the office of the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Task Force (PAOCTF), and was killed. However, PAOCTF was legally,abolished via EO 10 series of 2001, as signed by then-President Gloiria-Macapagal Arroyo.
8. Matobato said that Sali Makdum is suspected international terrorist, but the latter’s name has no information in the Internet. Sen. Lacson Googled his name but nothing was found.
9. Matobato said that he has killed 50 people but later changed it to 1,000 or more.
Must Read: * VP Leni Robredo Told to Prepare to Replace President Duterte, Veteran Journalist Reveals?
10. Matobato said that they park their black van (they used for kidnaping) at Gaisano Subdivision, but there is no subdivision in Davao City with that name. Nevertheless, there is a Gaisano Mall.
11. Matobato said he does not have a cellphone, but he said the wife of Richard King called him, and that his unnamed friend to Pangasinan where he was hiding, to get him as a witness.
Must Read: * Priest Who Took Care of Edgar Matobato Admits Serving Mass for Herbert Colangco’s Birthday
12. Matobato said he does not know that senators Franklin Drilon, Leila de Lima, and Antonio Trillanes IV are members of the Liberal Party (LP). For the record, Trillanes is an LP member, but his actions tells us so.
13. Matobato said that the DDS used 30 bullets to kill someone, but the latter was still alive.
14. Matobato first mentioned that Paolo Duterte had an this happened in 2010, but later corrected himself and said that it was in 2013.
Must Watch: * Filipinos Call Foreign Media for Balanced News Reports About Witness’ Claim of Duterte’s Order to Kill (Video)
15. Matobato said that there was an assassination plot in 2003 against then-CHR Chairperson Leila de Lima when she joined the operation in Davao City to dig graves of alleged victims of extrajudicial killings. However, Sen de Lima said that the operation happened in 2009.
16. Matobato said he has not yet executed a notarized affidavit before he appeared on the Senate hearing. However, Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre said that Matobato was lying because it is a basic requirement before anyone can be admitted to the Witness Protection Program (WPP). Matobato was under WPP from 2013 to 2016.
17. Matobato said he finished only until Grade 1. But while answering the questions, he speaks Tagalog fluently. Many Dabawenyos said it is almost impossible for someone with such low level of education to be that good in Tagalog.
Must Read: * Sen Trillanes Surrenders Edgar Matobato to PNP Chief Bato Dela Rosa at Camp Crame
Meanwhile, Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III has rejected the request of Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV that Edgar Matobato be under the Senate’s custody, noting that there was no enough reason for doing so. Sen. Leila de Lima earlier supported the request, saying that it is not proper that Matobato be under the protection of the PNP or the NBI.